Homemade Rasam Powder


What is comfort food according to you?? For me us its simple rasam rice and a upkari or dal and upkari. Being brought up in a typical Konkani family I love rasam of any kind. And amma being a lovely cook used does make most (apart from the baked goodies) of the dishes at home. From spice powders to curries to desserts… and rasam powder is one such spice powder which is the best. I never bothered to even see what was the proportion of ingredients she added into making of this fragrant powder. And once I got married I started buying readymade powder for some years but then soon started feeling if amma always made it at home I can atleast give a try and mind me from that day onwards I never buy rasam powder. I make my OwnJ.


So here is what we need for Rasam Powder :

  • Coriander seeds - 1 cup
  • Cumin (jeera) seeds - 1/2 cup
  • Fenugreek (methi) seeds - 2 tablespoons
  • Urad dal/Black gram dal – 1 tsp
  • Byadagi red chillies - 10 to 15 (according to taste)
  • Pepper- 10
  • A pinch of asafoetida 
Method
Heat a pan. Roast all the above ingredients, separately, one at a time, till light brown. Ensure raw smell goes away while roasting.
Remove from the fire. Let the ingredients cool down completely.
Grind all the roasted ingredients alongwith a pinch of asafoetida to a fine powder.
Spread the rasam powder on a plate to cool down.
Once the rasam powder reaches to room temperature, store in an airtight container.
Rasam powder can be stored for more than 3 months in refrigerator.



While preparing rasam once, you can add 2 teaspoons of rasam powder.



Comments

being a Bengali I still love Rasam of any kind. the powder recipe is awesome.
Harini said…
Very useful and informative post.Looking forward to try.Happy to follow you,would appreciate if you visit mine and follow too :)