Tendle Bibbe Upkari/Ivy gourd and Tender cashew stir fry


Now that its Tender Cashew Season I thought of reposting my deleted post... I have just copied my old post without any changes.

When it comes to Authentic Konkani food there are so many varieties that one gets confused which one to choose…. Especially when it comes to the Ugadi feast its totally a Bliss…..
Bibbe Upkari is one among it….. We get fresh and tender cashew nuts during Ugadi. They are Available in South Kanara and mind me we just can gulp them away after peeling….We get them in North Kanara too but the taste completely differs.
When the matter comes of tender cashews I remember my Mamama buying them in a good quantity and drying them in Sun so that she could use it when she needs it….. Those childhood days were a bliss indeed…. Mamama  used to pack them in a cotton cloth and stitch all the corners so that the kids do not eat the cashews just like this (as it was meant to be heat ). But I always had made a small corner hole where I cud put my petty finger and pull out the cashews…. :P :P :P. It was total fun…….. I miss those days….
Now Mamama gets it only during function prepares it there n then and empties it..  And even my fingers are not tht petty :D.
Here we don’t get tender cashews so we have to depend on the regular cashews which we get in Dry Fruit shops….  I soak the regular cashews for almost 6-7 in water and then use it for curries and upkari… It tastes similar to the tender cashews….. But the tender ones r total Yummm….
Bibbe Upkari can be done just with bibbo(cashews) or along with Tendle(ivy gourd). I made it with Ivy Gourd/Tendle

So after all the history here is the recipe:

Photobucket

Cashew nuts – 250 gms (soak in water for 7 hrs) (if u get tender cashew no need to soak just peel the skin)
Tendle/tindora/Ivy Gourd – 100 gms slit and cut into 4 pieces(long)
Mustard seeds – 2 tsp
Red chillies – 3-4
Salt to taste
Grated Coconut- 4 -5 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Method:
Heat oil in a deep bottom pan.
Add  mustard seeds and when splatters add cut red chillies.
Now add Tendle/ivy gourd , 1/4th cup of water, and close it with the lid for 5 minutes.
Now open the lid and add cashews, salt and grated coconut.
Close the lid and allow it to cook until tendle and bibbo is cooked. (if water evaporates add a bit more).
Now turn of the flame and Serve.

Photobucket

Tastes Yum Yum Face Eating Yellow Smiley Decoration Images when u add lozza loveYellow Smiley Face In Love Decoration Images in it.


Tastes Awesome with hot Puris or Rotis.
Till I come back Again
Bubye,
Signing Off,


Comments